Here's a great example of lobbies taking over column inches, in this case on a subject that's close to my heart:
David Cameron told: Act now to save Heathrow Airport - Transport - News - Evening Standard
Prime example of lazy "journalism", writing up a quick piece straight off the press pack from BAA. Any proper newspaper article would have tried to show both sides of the story, with counterpoints.
I hope Jonathan and Lucy enjoyed a really nice lunch paid for by Ferrovial (BAA's Spanish owner) and a few nice gifts too.
Just a reminder to set the record straight, London has FIVE international airport (actually, now SEVEN if you count Manston and Southend), totalling seven runways (not including the unused backup one at Gatwick), most being under-used. Heathrow is a WWII planning mistake, its flight path goes over 2m people. Those five airports handle over 130 millions passengers on their six runways, about 150% of the traffic in Paris (LHR + CDG).
It's about time we stop comparing LHR to other European cities and instead do what they've done: build a new airport with enough room for expansion. If it needs to be in the Thames estuary, so be it.
Previous posts on the same subject:
- Some Heathrow news...
- Essential reading: 2M Group on Heathrow Expansion
- Monday -my letter to the MP's against Heathrow Expansion
- Glad I managed to land... (and Heathrow expansion lies)
- BA can spam you but you can't spam BA!
- BAA caught lying... again.
- Stanstead and City granted expansion: what does it mean for Heathrow?
- And yet another broken promise by DfT and BAA...
- Is Heathrow really out of capacity?
- More on Heathrow
- Is sustainability sacrificed on the Heathrow altar?
- Transported logic
- Heathrow is not safe: chilling crash map
- Happy new year and more foul play from the DfT on Heathrow Expansion
- BAA wakes up to the sound of locomotives?
- Stating the obvious: Heathrow expansion will pollute more
- Heathrow is just dangerous where it is
- Hoon's farce as Heathrow expansion is announced
- Economic case for Heathrow expansion 'flawed'
- Finally, high speed train gets national coverage
- Just a reminder: London has FIVE airports, all competing against Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris
- More on Manor road and Heathrow
- Environmental perversity...
- Why is the governement pushing to increase number of night flights?
- Heathrow is dangerous and should not be expanded, here's why
- T5 opens, shows BAA-Government hypocrisy and collusion
- Lyon-Paris vs. Manchester-London (from Euroblog by Jon Worth)
- Airplanes noise common sense?
- Politics and GreenWash
- I dreamt about doing this!!!!